Metal Free Restorations
While some dental offices are just joining this party, I can say with complete honesty that I have not placed a silver/ mercury containing filling in 20 years.
It is a commitment I made years ago to deliver the best dentistry possible.
There are wonderful alternatives to metal fillings and crowns. This philosophy is an essential part of my ongoing participation in dental product evaluations. I am proud to be affiliated with Clinical Research, Inc. as a clinical evaluator of new dental materials that are used by dentists around the world. This keeps me on the cutting edge of what is new in dentistry, techniques and expectations.
Why You Should Avoid Silver Fillings
Today's dentist has a multitude of choices when it comes to filling materials for your cavity repair. While silver fillings are still in use in this country, there are better choices. Here is a list of some of the pitfalls for amalgam.
- The larger the filling, the weaker the tooth. Cracks are commonly seen around old silver fillings.
- They are toxic waste. Mercury levels are high in old amalgams. Special filters remove the amalgam particles from the waste water before it enter the sewer at my office. Yet, it is okay to put it in your mouth!!! You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to realize that something is terribly wrong with this logic.
- Caries under them are difficult to detect because they can’t always be seen on a radiograph.
- People are unaware that they have cracks and decay around and under old fillings.
- There was a time when we didn’t have a choice in filling materials. Today, there are good alternatives to silver fillings. Unfortunately, in the US, insurance keeps this poor choice alive because it is cheap.
- Other countries have banned the use of silver amalgams due to the mercury in them. As a consumer, you should be outraged that the ADA has bowed to the insurance industry to let this farce go on for all these years.
- Take control of your own health and refuse to allow the use of amalgam in your mouth. If your dentist insists it is a safe product, you need to find a new dentist. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR IGNORANCE!
- Don’t be fooled in thinking that your teeth are fine because they don’t hurt. Once they hurt, you are in for a much BIGGER repair bill. Many people don’t get any symptoms until it is far along in the decay/crack process.
DENTISTRY ISN’T EXPENSIVE, BUT DENTAL NEGLECT ADDS UP QUICKLY